Matsui Secures Over $66 Million for Sacramento Flood Control Projects in President’s Budget
Matsui Secures Over $66 Million for
Sacramento Flood Control Projects in President’s Budget
 
Monday, February 5, 2007                                                            Printable Version (PDF) 

 

Washington, DC – Congresswoman Doris O. Matsui (CA-5) issued the following statement on the record budget funding of over $66 million for Sacramento’s flood control projects, which includes over $42 million for projects to strengthen and maintain Sacramento’s levees. This ensures Sacramento’s flood protection partners will be able to continue to make progress on the work they did in 2006.    “I am pleased that for a second year in a row the federal budget included strong funding levels for Sacramento’s flood protection projects.  That being said, this funding level is just a start and as the funding process moves forward, I will continue to work with my colleagues and push for even more funding.  Sacramento faces an unnecessary risk of flooding and a continued federal investment in our projects will allow us to build on the significant progress our flood protection partners made in 2006 – making improvements to Folsom Dam and maintaining and strengthening our levees,” said Congresswoman Matsui.   Sacramento Flood Control Projects

·         $8 million for South Sacramento County Streams·         $21.528 million for Sacramento River Bank Protection·         $36.5 million for American River Watershed, specifically o      $12 million for Folsom Common Features o      $6.0 million Folsom Dam Modificationso      $18.5 million for Folsom Dam Raise and Bridge Because of this strong funding increase, Sacramento’s flood control projects appear well-positioned as Congress begins the FY’08 Appropriations process.   Earlier this year, Congresswoman Matsui led a bipartisan coalition of her colleagues in sending a letter to the President [click here to view a pdf copy of the letter], urging a continued significant federal investment in Sacramento’s flood protection projects.  Below is the text of the letter:  January 3, 2007 The PresidentThe White HouseWashington, DC 20500 Dear Mr. President: As your Administration prepares its budget for fiscal year 2008, we respectfully urge you to continue to make a significant federal investment to raise the level of flood protection in the region of Sacramento, California.  Your Administration’s budget proposal has regularly allocated funding for Sacramento area flood protection, which is deeply appreciated.  However, we believe that there are compelling reasons to give an even higher priority to addressing the Sacramento region’s flood risks.  The Sacramento region faces a persistent threat of flooding.  This puts the risk of flooding in Sacramento—the capital of the State of California—among the highest of major urban areas in the country and most at risk river city in the nation. The State and local partners are making tremendous progress in providing higher flood protection for the citizens, property owners and businesses in the region.  This was demonstrated once again in November when California voters approved a major bond referendum which will provide $4.1 billion to pay non-Federal flood control infrastructure costs; however, a higher federal investment is needed.  We have several projects that need continued funding.  These projects address immediate and long term regional and state flood protection priorities. Specifically, we urge you to fund the following projects at the Army Corps of Engineers full capabilities.  ·         South Sacramento County Streams  ·         Sacramento River Bank Protection    ·         Common Features, American River Watershed·         Folsom Modifications, American River Watershed ·         Folsom Dam Raise and related authorized components, American River Watershed ·         Natomas Phase 1 reimbursement·         Yuba River Basin·         Northern California Streams, Sutter County·         Mid-Valley Area Levee Reconstruction·         West Sacramento Levee Reconstruction Project      As you know, efforts on the Folsom Modifications and Folsom Dam Raise projects are being combined by the Corps of Engineers and the Bureau of Reclamation to form a more efficient, cost-effective project.  We applaud the interagency cooperation being demonstrated and urge continued funding through these existing authorizations so progress can continue. During the year and a half since the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, our nation banded together to fund relief efforts and begin the revitalization of the Gulf Coast.  However, we must continue to embrace the lessons of Katrina and investing funding in flood prevention – examining, maintaining and strengthening our levee and dam systems.   The numbers of people and the value of property at risk in our aging levee system is staggering.  The Sacramento floodplain contains 165,000 homes, more than 450,000 residents, businesses providing 250,000 jobs, and 1300 government facilities.  It is the hub of a six-county regional economy that provides almost one million jobs for 2.2 million people. A major flood along either the American or Sacramento Rivers would cripple this economy, putting at risk property worth close to $35 billion.  The devastation of the floods of 1986 and Sacramento’s frightening near-miss in 1997 are reminders of the rising flood risk and the potential ferocity of storms this region faces. In light of the lessons learned by the effects of hurricane Katrina, we appeal to you on an urgent basis to support strong funding of the necessary upgrades to the Sacramento dam and levee systems as you finalize the FY 2008 budget for the Army Corps of Engineers.   We believe it is in the best interest of the federal and state governments to provide a budget that reflects the Corps project implementation capability, which will result in most expeditiously addressing the safety concerns of the residents of the Sacramento region.  We look forward to working with you on this matter and appreciate your attention to this request. Sincerely, Senator Dianne FeinsteinSenator Barbara Boxer Congresswoman Doris O. MatsuiCongressman John DoolittleCongressman Wally HergerCongressman Mike ThompsonCongressman Dan Lungren  cc:        Director Robert Portman, Office of Management and Budget  ###   
 
Share this article with others here:
Delicious
Furl it!
Spurl
NewsVine
Reddit
YahooMyWeb
Technorati